Monday, May 7, 2012

Piedmontese, one week in.

After one week, I'm finally starting to feel a bit more confident and comfortable with speaking piemontèis. It's taken a lot of repetition, using the dialogs from the Nòste Rèis course, as well as reading some Wikipedia articles out loud. I've just done it over and over, until I've gotten an acceptable pronunciation, at least in my mind. I've also done spot checks here and there using Vivaldi. Sure, they're not the same phrases and sentences I'm repeating, but I can find close enough approximations of the sound combinations I'm trying to make. I've been using the standard Turin morphology examples wherever possible.

I only have about 5 more lessons to complete from the Nòste Rèis course. The last few lessons I've gone through have dealt with subjunctive and some more pronoun examples, particularly with regard to a peculiarity in Piedmontese interrogatives. The course briefly introduced the construction earlier with "Sas-to?" (Do you know?), but it's given me some more concrete examples, such as: "is la fom-ne?" (shall we do it?) and "fomëss-la" (let's do it).

I've also been going  through the Diego Casoni grammar course I found online as a PDF file. It's a pretty compact grammar, but it's got everything I need for reference, including easily readable tables for conjugations and other morphology. It's laid out much more differently than the Libero grammar, which has its own strengths in that each section has clear links to the different grammar points.

Outside of those resources, I've been trying to learn about 10 new idiomatic expressions every couple days, which - by the way, vary WILDLY from many of the Italian idioms I've come to learn over the years.

And I've started listening to what little audio I can find online, at least outside of songs. I've been using a couple of the audio files I found on La còca dij bogianen ch'a bogio. I like the guy's way of speaking. It comes across as quite clear, yet natural. I only wish there were more audio on the site.

I'm still being really strict with my time with Piedmontesee - no more than one hour a day, but even with just that, I've managed to cram in a load of the language. And this 6WC is a nice distraction from Turkish and the much more demanding Georgian. It helps me clear my head when Georgian starts to make me feel incapable of learning anything. Just an hour with Piedmontese allows me to get back to both Turkish and Georgian with a fresh attitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment