Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Piedmontese, two weeks in.

I pushed through the rest of the Nòste Rèis course this weekend. The last couple lessons mainly dealt with grouped pronouns - something I needed to work on, anyway. And I continue to work on them. Things like Mi i-j lo pòrto still aren't anywhere near as comfortable as Glielo porto at this point. There's also a fair amount of vocabulary that I'm taking in, but really, vocabulary is the easiest thing to work on.

I've also continued to do a fair bit of reading, most of it out loud to continue with pronunciation practice. The last two "lessons" of the Nòste Rèis course are literature, so I've been using them, as well as Wikipedia articles.

From here on out, I'll probably be doing a lot more reading. It is, after all, one of the few things I can easily do every day, and there is ample material out on the web to take advantage of this.

I'm also starting to concentrate a bit more on the details of the grammar differences, whether it's from the Libero site or the Casoni grammar course . I'll continue with that - it's helping a lot. By the end of this 6 Week Challenge, I may sit down and write a short comparative grammar of my own. We'll see.

In the back of my mind I had thought to start writing in Piedmontese at the half-way mark of this challenge, and that's not changed, so starting next week I'll begin writing something in Piedmontese. It may not be much, but it will be consistent.

I'm still looking for more audio. The audio I've found so far hasn't been all that challenging to understand, but I really wish I could find more. All I'd need to be happy is a basic, talk-radio style stream that I could listen to every other day or so. I'm really kind of surprised I've not been able to find something like that yet.

Hopefully by the time I finish the challenge, I'll have found some decent radio sources to be able to maintain everything I've learned. Reading's great, but I need to hear (and even more ideally, speak) the language to keep it alive.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job Rick! I just posted about your project on my Piedmontese blog: http://giannidavico.it/gopiedmont/2012/05/16/el-me-piemonteis/.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Gianni! I'm glad to have someone following my progress. Hopefully, at the end of these six weeks, I won't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure not! You may also want to check the comment by Lissànder on my post - maybe those PM3s are useful for your goals.

    ReplyDelete